Hans Leder’s collections in the Weltmuseum Wien include 811 identified pieces – six of them are assigned to western Asia and originate from Leder’s travels in the Caucasus and Transcaucasus. The first ethnographic collection (inv. no. 63428-63466) acquired from Leder by the museum, then the imperial Naturhistorische Hofmuseum, were inventoried in 1898. The second acquisition, of 210 inventory numbers, is recorded in 1899. The last acquisition, in 1905/06, was the most extensive, including 576 items.
On the intervention of Director Braun (Kaiser Franz Joseph-Museums in Troppau) in April 1902 Leder sold a collection of more than 1,500 artefacts to the Württembergischen Verein für Handelsgeographie, managed by Graf Karl Heinrich von Linden (1838-1910). The collection’s history is reflected by the correspondence between Graf Linden and Hans Leder, kept in the archive of the museum.
In 1919 Victor and Leontine Goldschmidt, born v. Portheim, who were married cousins, founded the J. & E. von Portheim Stiftung für Wissenschaft und Kunst – established in honour and memory of his mother and father, Josephine and Eduard von Portheim. The foundation consisted of several independent scientific institutes in Heidelberg, among them the Ethnographic Institute and Museum. The collections of the Goldschmidts formed the base of the museum. The “aryanisation” of the foundation in 1933 and the death of the founders also led to the loss of several documents and artefacts. As no original inventories of the Leder Collections are preserved at the museum, it is sometimes difficult to reconstruct the provenance, but it can be assumed that most of the objects assigned to “Tibet” and inventoried as “Sammlung Umlauff” are from the Leder Collections. The museum holds about 800 artefacts collected by Leder.
The Kaiser Franz Joseph Museum in Troppau (today the Silesian Museum in Opava in the Czech Republic) once housed 123 items of Leder’s Mongolian collections. Most of these were destroyed by fire at the end of WW II; 24 tshatsha and stupas of clay survived and were transferred to the Náprstek Museum in Prague. Today (2012) these are held in a museum depository outside of Prague.
In 1907 the museum acquired 1,235 artefacts from Hans Leder’s collections, among them: 300 thangkas, 4 house altars with tshatsha, 14 house altars with miniatures, 47 small clay figures, 42 bronze figures, 12 wooden Tsam figures, 5 prayer wheels, 12 manuscripts and 9 books. For 1912 there is a second entry of a few items purchased from Leder’s private collection.
In 1904 Leder agreed to sell a collection originally acquired for Stuttgart to a museum in Budapest, at that time part of the National Museum and located in Budapest IX, Csillag utcza 3. The collection numbered 906 pieces. In the course of the project, 664 locatable artefacts were documented and identified, no original inventories were at hand.